- Pulitzer Prize: Staff award for Breaking News. 2003
Contributed to the Eagle-Tribune’s coverage of the accidental drowning of four young boys in the Merrimack River. (Read my two-year anniversary story here.)
- Association of Educational Publishers: Distinguished Achievement Award, one-theme issue. 2009
Produced Edutopia magazine cover package on the Collaboration Age for this themed issue.
- New England Press Association: Education Reporting, first place. 2005
Created and co-wrote an Eagle-Tribune series following two teens through the anxieties and thrills of their senior year of high school.
- New England Press Association: General News Story, second place. 2004
Wrote a package of Eagle-Tribune stories on deadline about a heartbroken husband who provoked police to shoot and kill him.
- New England Press Association: Staff award for Investigative Reporting, third place. 2004
Helped design the statistical analysis for an Eagle-Tribune series on teacher absenteeism that drew national attention.
- New England Associated Press News Executives Association: Staff award for General News, third place. 2003
Worked as a lead writer in an Eagle-Tribune investigative report on the hazards of a high-risk railroad crossing, prompting authorities to implement changes for safety.